This post was super helpful and found originally on

The following resources can be used to help you find mental health treatment services, including affordable treatment for those without insurance, in your community.

Mental Health America’s fact sheet “Finding the Right Care” and some of the sites listed below provide detailed information to help you choose a mental health professional and to enable you to better understand treatment options and the treatment process. Sites providing specialized treatment referrals for specific illnesses also include considerable information about the specific illness.

If you, or someone you know is in crisis, please seek help immediately. Contact the following organizations for information about 24-hour crisis services in your area:

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline’s

24 hour toll-free crisis hotline, 1.800.273.TALK (1.800.273.8255) can put you into contact with your local crisis center that can tell you where to seek immediate help in your area.

Those who are uncomfortable with speaking on the phone can text “MHA” to 741-741 to speak with a trained crisis counselor at Crisis Text Line


The Child-Help USA

1.800.4.A.CHILD (1.800.422.4453) crisis line assists both child and adult survivors of abuse, including sexual abuse. The hotline, staffed by mental health professionals, also provides treatment referrals.

In areas where 211

is available, dialing this number can connect you with mental health crisis services in your area or help you find where to seek immediate help in your area.

For referrals to affordable community mental health services:

Your local Mental Health America affiliate is an excellent resource for information about local programs and services including affordable treatment services.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s Health Information Network (SHIN) has a Mental Health Facilities Locator

that can also help you find community outpatient, inpatient and residential treatment facilities, including affordable mental health services in your area.

The SAMHSA Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

and the SAMHSA 24/7 Treatment and Referral line at 1.800.662.4357 provide referrals to alcohol, substance abuse and dual diagnosis treatment facilities, including facilities that offer sliding scale fees and other special payment arrangements. Dual diagnosis services provide integrated treatment for individuals who have both an alcohol or substance abuse problem and a mental illness. Use the detailed search option on the left hand side of the page to find the facilities that most closely match your needs.

Rehab Locator

offers a searchable database for drug and alcohol rehab centers.

Universities or teaching hospitals may also be a source of low-cost or free treatment services. It is recommended that you contact those in your area.

The World Federation for Mental Health

can assist people from other countries throughout the world in finding mental health services in their area.

For referral to individual mental health providers:

You can use Psychology Today’s Therapy Directory

to search for mental health professionals in your area. You can search by zip code, city, last name, etc. For each provider listed, you can read about their therapy approach, specialty areas, information about their fees including whether they accept insurance and whether they offer sliding scale fees, as well as their credentials and contact information. There are a variety of options for sorting your results to find providers who most closely match your needs. You can also send them an initial e-mail.


provides a searchable directory of licensed therapists who seek to make mental health counseling safe and easily accessible.

The Medicare Physician Compare

can assist you in finding a physician who is enrolled in Medicare.

Your state Medicaid office, whose contact information can be found using the map on the National Association of State Medicaid Directors

site, may be able to assist you in finding a provider who accepts Medicaid.

There are a number of professional provider associations and other national organizations that provide treatment referral services. These organizations are listed below with links to their websites.

Professional provider associations that provide treatment referral services include:

American Association of Marriage and Family TherapistsThe Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE)American Medical AssociationAmerican Psychiatric Association’s Choosing a Psychiatrist (PDF)American Psychological AssociationAmerican Residential Treatment AssociationAssociation for Behavioral and Cognitive TherapiesNational Association of Cognitive and Behavioral TherapistsNational Association of Social WorkersNational Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology

Professional provider organizations that serve specific audiences include:

American Association for Geriatric PsychiatryAmerican Association of Children’s Residential Centers

Association of Gay and Lesbian PsychiatristsGay and Lesbian Medical AssociationNational Medical Association


  •  800-473-3003

Other organizations that offer specialized treatment referral services included:

(National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders) A description of various types of therapy used in treating people witih eating disorders is found at the following link Therapy

Treatment CentersATTACh 

  • at 866-453-8224 (Association for Treatment and Training in the Attachment of Children offers treatment referrals for children with attachment disorder)
  • Attention Deficit Disorder Association

Autism Society of AmericaThe Balanced Mind Foundation


Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance

Male Survivor

National Eating Disorders AssociationNational Hospice and Palliative Care Organization

  •  at 1-800-658-8898 (grief counseling)
  • Postpartum Support International
  •  (Use the Find Local Support, Resources, and Events option to find contact information for the State Coordinator for your state to get a list of psychiatrists and therapists in your area who specialize in reproductive-related mood disorders in women of all ages).
  • Rape Abuse and Incest National Network
  •  (counseling centers throughout the U.S.)
  • S.A.F.E. Alternatives
  •  (treatment referrals for self injury)
  • The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
  •  (You can go to Finding Help for Sexually Abused Children and click on the National Network Members page option, to search by state for programs in your area.)
  • TARA
  •  at 1-888-482-7227 (Treatment and Research Advancements National Association for Personality Disorder; treatment referrals for borderline personality disorder)
  •  (mental health services for military personnel and their families)
  • U.S. Vets

(a non-profit organization that helps homeless veterans access mental health and substance abuse services along with housing and other community supports to achieve successful reintegration into the community. Current locations include California, Texas, Arizona, Washington DC, Nevada, and Hawaii)


Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.